Chronic severe alcoholics abuse other drugs at higher rates than the other subtypes of alcoholics as well. Folks within the intermediate familial subtype account for 19% of alcoholics. They often started drinking at a young age and have a family history of alcoholism. However, they didn’t start struggling with alcohol issues until middle age. The young adult subtype is the largest of the groups accounting for 31.5% of alcoholics. Individuals within this group are typically in their early twenties and develop alcohol dependence around 19 years old.
- Unlike young adult alcoholics, antisocial alcoholics don’t drink socially with peers.
- About half of those in the young adult subtype are employed full-time, and many are still in college.
- However, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) performed a study to categorize different alcoholics to note their similarities.
However, for this group, alcohol dependence typically develops at around 29 years old. This research helped scientists identify several different types of alcoholics. Understanding these categories provides more insight into alcohol addiction and the effective treatment options for people suffering from alcohol use disorder (AUD). If you feel that you sometimes drink too much alcohol, or your drinking is causing problems, or if your family is concerned about your drinking, talk with your health care provider. Other ways to get help include talking with a mental health professional or seeking help from a support group such as Alcoholics Anonymous or a similar type of self-help group.
Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms
When subcategories were created, it progressed diagnostic methods as no two types of alcohol dependency are the same. Due consideration to the cause including social, environmental or even genetic factors all aid potential treatment and choosing between inpatient https://ecosoberhouse.com/ and outpatient alcohol treatment centers. About 66 percent of chronic severe alcoholics seek treatment for their alcohol dependence. This subtype has the highest attendance rate at self-help groups, specialty rehab, detox, and inpatient programs.
- For those who do drink, there are several ways to make smarter, healthier alcohol choices when looking to unwind after a long day or celebrate with friends.
- Likely to be in college, this subtype drinks less frequently than other groups, but they are more prone to binge drink when they do.
- The second largest group of alcoholics, numbering 21.1 percent of those with an addiction to alcohol, people in this group start drinking from a very young age and have a dependence on alcohol while still in their teenage years.
- In the same volume of drink, you’ll consume less booze, plus you’ll replenish a bit of your hydration stores while you’re at it.
- The majority smoke, and many use other drugs, including marijuana, cocaine and opioids.
- Someone with antisocial personality disorder will typically be manipulative, deceitful and reckless, and will not care for other people’s feelings, it added.
People in this group will tend to have started drinking from a young age, such as 17, and will likely begin to hit problems in their mid-30s. Alcohol addiction is an utterly devastating affliction which can result in all sorts of risks to health, life and personal wellbeing. 5 types of alcoholics We’re here 24/7 to help guide you or your loved on through rehab and recovery. After treatment, there are a wide variety of support group options to connect with others and avoid relapses, such as Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, alcoholism group programs, and SMART Recovery.
Get help for alcoholism today
Tim enjoys writing about addiction and recovery, this topic has personally affected him, fuelling his desire to help others. After undergoing a full detox, it is always recommended that individuals follow this with therapy or counselling of some form. Two of the most effective addiction treatments are outlined in the following subheadings.